Importance of MS Word Tool
Microsoft Office needs no introduction. There is not a person alive who has operated a computer in the last twenty years and not known what MS Office stands for. It is has emerged as the top leading software to be used among the massegs with regular updates and fine-tuning to give its customers that much needed edge. Among its many, easy to use programs (PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook et cetera); MS Word is by far – according to me, anyway, the most sensational tool to created by man. A few of important MS word tools and its features, essentially helpful in writing, are mentioned below:
1. Auto Correct:
Auto Correct is a built-in tool in the Word program that writers use to automatically correct any spelling mistakes that may occur whilst typing fast or when the writer is too engrossed in inputting their work. At first glance, one would think all autocorrect does is capitalize words on its own when necessary and point out misspelled words.
However, that is not the case. We can customize the tool according to our preferences. For example, when there are some words that users occasionally have trouble with due to their difficult spellings and frequent usage, we apply the Find and Replace command to find the misspelled words in whichever documents we type and replace them with their correct spellings.
If you prefer to take notes on electronic devices, you can also use this command to expand the abbreviated words. In the tool column, select AutoCorrect Options. The options will appear on the right side of the screen and you can enter the word that you wish to be replaced when typing the abbreviation. But remember to only use non-word abbreviations so that Word doesn’t get confused. For example, do not use the word ’it’ as an abbreviation for information technology as the computer might get it mixed with the pronoun ‘it’.
2. Reversing Caps Lock:
This is the absolute best thing to have been created for fast typists, especially someone like me! Sometimes writers are on the brink of a deadline (ahem, ME), trying to wrap up their work as quickly as possible and can accidently hit the Caps Lock while typing. They might not even notice this (being so occupied with getting the work done) until it’s too late. Two, three paragraphs later, they will suddenly realize the mistake they have committed.
But let us not worry about this minor issue as with a click of a button (two, to be exact) the capitalized sentences can be reversed. When you press Ctrl+F7, you can easily reverse Caps Lock. It’s that simple – I just wished I had paid attention in computer class before instead of learning about this life-saving tool so late in life.
3. The Clipboard:
The fact that I did not learn about this seemingly easy and useful tool in class just proves that even my teacher was ignorant of this wonder. The Clipboard tool in the Word version can hold up to 24 items that you can store for later use by selecting the cut or copy command. This can be extremely helpful when you have frequently mentioned citations, names with difficult spellings and confusing dates. You can access this tool by clicking on the drop-down arrow in the Home tab next to the Clipboard. You can also click Ctrl + C twice as a shortcut to open up the Clipboard panel.
4. The Thesaurus:
Another wonderful tool invented by the technology gurus is the Thesaurus. It might be basic and well known but it is a miracle for us writers who sometimes stumble upon a word in the midst of creating the most beautiful piece of writing and cannot think of new words. All you have to do is bring your insertion point over the word that you want to change and click Shift+F7 (function key). A window will pop open providing you with a long list of similar words, categorized into adjectives, nouns and verbs.
You can also use a short-cut if you right-click the mouse. The menu list that pops up contains various options among which ‘synonym’ will be your savior of the day. It will provide you with a smaller version of words similar to what you are looking for.
5. Research Tools:
MS Word has many tools and you might be familiar with these features as they are a great help to writers everywhere. A dictionary, thesaurus, spelling and grammar tools et cetera. Among them is the Research command which appears when you right-click on a word. When the menu list appears, go select Look up > Research Options and choose which ever option suits you. Remember though, some options require an internet connection and in some cases, money so as to sieve through proper information for you.
Microsoft has made writing easier; there are some word tools at Microsoft which have made writing easier. If you are a writer, you can make use of Microsoft Word to make your life easier!
- The customized default fonts at MS word make the working easier. If you love to gravitate towards some fonts while working, the fonts there to pull the eyes across the page. Each time you start with your project you can manually change the document font but with the help of Microsoft default font feature, you can adjust your favorite font, its size and color as your preferred standard option. You can also search various new aspects of MS word at Google such as how to use Google input tools at MS word.
- The Microsoft Word tools bring the split view option for the users. If you are tired of scrolling in between various sections of your writing. The word split bar option is the one for you; at one time you are able to view two parts of a complicated or complex document. As you do this, it becomes easier to copy and edit the document. In the same way there are certain drawing tools in MS word as well which can be very useful and important ms word tools if you are working on a science related project.
- The MS word also introduces the selective word count feature, while writing sometimes you need to keep a count of certain number of words and characters. MS word makes it easier for you. In the same way for a certain header or paragraph you can keep a selective word count. You can easily count the words with the help of MS word. The tools menu in MS word is really an amazing feature for the writers.
- Readability evaluation becomes easier at MS word. The grammar tool at word allows you to rightly estimate the level of readability of your work. This also suggests you if you need any changes in the document to make it easier and simpler for your readers. The tool allows you to determine how many passive sentences have been used by you in a document and the grading of your writing. This makes your learning easier as well, as you can determine your own grades and measure the standard of your own writing.
- Instant auto correct option at MS word is an amazing tool and the most interesting aspect of this tool is that it can be customized and designed to pick up your words automatically and instantly which you trip over frequently. You can change them to what you like at anytime.
- One of the most helpful tools for the writers at MS word is the track changes. This feature allows the writer to pass the work around to the colleagues or editors. You can get their responses with the help of this tool.
- The track changes feature can be protected. One of the biggest and perhaps the only concern with track changes is that others can disable this tool. Sometimes you leave the document filled with changes hard to pinpoint whether on purpose or accidently. With the help of MS word there is a way to protect it.
- Find the word and replace it with other word feature is also an amazing feature of MS word. While writing a document, you find a more suitable term for some previously used word, you can make use of this option easily. MS word tools and their uses are additional benefits for the writers. They have made writing easier and interesting.